LFG boss on why Telegram gTLD fight might not be all bad news
It’s currently the highest-profile fight of the 2026 new gTLD round, but the CEO of one applicant has a positive spin on having to go up against one or two deep-pocketed social media giants.
The announcement by Telegram boss Pavel Durov yesterday that his company has applied for the .gram top-level domain has arguably brought more attention to the new gTLD program than ICANN has managed in six months, but it also created the most visible contention set.
.gram was also among the 316 strings that portfolio applicant Link Freedom Group announced late last week, and I’d be very surprised if Instagram owner Meta doesn’t also emerge as a contender (or legal rights objector).
But LFG CEO Vaughn Liley reckons it might not be all bad news. He’s actually taking it as a validation of a business model Nova Registry, the .link registry that he also manages, has been pushing for the last five years.
Durov suggested in his Twitter feed that .gram would not be a dot-brand in the way that most companies use them — keeping all the names to themselves and using them to brand products or business segments.
Rather, he wrote: “a billion Telegram users could get their own second-level domains — yourname.gram. Users would be able to set up their interactive websites hosted by Telegram — with one prompt”.
That’s what I sometimes refer to as the auto-dealer model. Some car brands in Europe already dish out domains in their dot-brands, along with a prebuilt template-driven web site, to their licensed dealerships.
Telegram has applied for the .gram domain zone.
If the application is approved by ICANN, a billion Telegram users could get their own second-level domains — yourname.gram.
Users would be able to set up their interactive websites hosted by Telegram — with one prompt ✨
— Pavel Durov (@durov) August 18, 2026
You’d have to assume Telegram would charge a premium for these billion vanity domains, unless it’s prepared to fork over hundreds of millions of dollars in ICANN fees alone annually.
LFG’s Liley told DI he was surprised by the Telegram announcement, and while it’s LFG’s goal to win as many of its applied-for strings as possible without paying more than the $227,000 application fee, he’s happy that Durov seems to be validating part of .link’s business model.
“Nova Registry have been banging this drum for years with the .link TLD so it’s refreshing to see such a high-profile CEO as Pavel Durov championing the use case,” he said.
Nova acquired .link from Uniregistry at auction a few years ago, and set about a model of partnering with other tech companies who could offer custom .link domains as part of an upsell premium package.
It’s signed up the likes of WordPress-owned Gravatar and Bitly on “link in bio” or digital business card services, where .link names are used to consolidate registrants’ contact details in one place.
“The overarching message is very positive for me,” Liley said.
Would LFG prevail in, or even bother with, an auction against Telegram, Meta and potentially other -gram brands? I doubt it, but perhaps if the contention set keeps generating headlines the $227,000 application fee could be written off as a .link marketing expenditure.
Cybercrime link as t.me gets taken down
Speculation is rampant online right now after t.me, the domain used for short links by the messaging service Telegram, was apparently taken down by the .me registry, affecting as many as a billion users.
t.me seems to have gone dark shortly before 2000 UTC on Monday evening, with Whois/RDAP records showing it is now placed on serverHold status, which usually indicates a registry-level suspension and removal from the .me zone.
The suspension means that millions of short links using t.me are no longer functioning when clicked, leading instead to NXDOMAIN errors. Substituting t.me for telegram.me can be used as a workaround; the longer domain remains unsuspended.
.me is the ccTLD for Montenegro and is managed by local firm doMEn, which is mostly a partnership between US-based domain giants GoDaddy and Identity Digital.
Telegram and doMEn’s partners have yet to publicly address the outage, leading to a great deal of speculation online.
The most plausible explanation put forward so far but not yet confirmed is that the takedown relates to an order issued Monday by the US government’s Office of Foreign Assets Control, which has broad powers to sanction organizations and individuals it believes are linked to crime and terrorism.
OFAC, in an advisory that otherwise largely targets Cuban-linked entities, sanctioned domains and cryptocurrency wallets linked to First VPN Service (1VPNS), which it said was a Ukraine-based cybercrime group selling anonymity services to ransomware attackers and others.
OFAC said: “Numerous ransomware groups have purchased infrastructure from 1VPNS, which they have leveraged in attacks on U.S. companies and institutions—including to hide the origins of their attacks, deploy malware, and manage exfiltrated data.”
The July 13 order sanctioned three 1VPNS domain names — 1vpns.com, 1vpns.net, and 1vpns.org — that had in fact already been taken down by a Europol-led law enforcement operation in May.
But also on the list is the URL t.me/FirstVPNService. The equivalent telegram.me URL was not listed.
This has led to the suspicion that the t.me suspension is a classic case of government using a jurisdictional sledgehammer to crack an overseas nut — ordering doMEn’s US-based registry partners to take down the whole of t.me rather than asking Dubai-based Telegram to take down the specific offending URL or group.
Identity Digital, which holds the pen on .me domain edits, would have been powerless to resist an order from its own government.
While the takedown will doubtless be raised in ongoing policy discussions about when it is appropriate for a registry or registrar to suspend a domain over DNS abuse concerns, it’s less clear whether it will play into the Montenegro government’s nascent efforts to exert more local control over .me.






Recent Comments