The thirteenth installment of dotShabaka Registry’s journal, charting its progress towards becoming one of the first new gTLDs to go live, written by general manager Yasmin Omer.
Friday 20 September 2013
The new gTLD webinar on 19 September was very well attended with over 200 people on the call. Due to time constraints ICANN did not answer questions previously submitted by email so we thought it would be useful to share them with you here:
- 1. What issues do ICANN need to resolve before the delegation processes will commence for those TLDs that have completed PDT?
a) What are the processes and schedules for resolution of these issues?
b) Will this information be made available to Applicants to assist with launch planning?
- 2. The number of Trademark records in the Arabic script in the TMCH is very low – the last information that Deloitte/IBM/ICANN published in early July was that there were 13 trademarks records in the Arabic script in the TMCH. No update on IDN trademark records in the TMCH has been provided since.
a. Why is this information not publically available to assist registry operators with launch planning?
b. What is the plan to improve TMCH IDN numbers and what are the forecasts?
- 3. Only 26 Registrars have signed the 2013 RAA. To expedite the on-boarding process and enable a global network of Registrars for the TLD launch, can ICANN remove the requirement that a registrar have executed the 2013 RAA in order to obtain a registration token for the TMDB? This will allow Registrar testing to proceed whilst the 2013 RAA is being executed/negotiated.
- 4. Can you please provide a specific date for distribution of the PR kit for new gTLD registries who are planning launch activities as mentioned by Christine Willett in her recent video interview?
- 5. When will ICANN update its website with the list of registrars that have completed TMCH Integration Testing as promised in section 1.5 of the 6 August RPM Requirements Document?
- 6. When will the Registry Reporting Interface required as per Specification 3 be in production rather than OT&E?
- 7. ICANN staff mentioned that there may be a call to discuss finalising the URS Technical Requirements Document
a. When will this call occur?
b. When will the URS Technical Requirements Document be finalised?
c. Must the URS Technical Requirements Document be finalised prior to the delegation or sunrise of the first new gTLDs?
- 8. Is the CZDA operational and ready for the first new gTLDs which will be delegated in the next month?
- 9. Can IBM create a permanent OT&E for the TMCH that allows complete end to end testing and includes all the functionality found in the production environment?
We look forward to ICANN will publishing responses to these questions in the Q&A typically distributed a few days after completion.
Read previous and future diary entries here.